About Me

My photo
Ashley Connor is the name. Freelance writing is my game. I have a bachelors degree in Journalism from Clarion University of Pennsylvania |S/O CU c/o 2009| -- It's now 2014 and my life has truly taken it's own path. I've learned through everything you can't always plan your next move but whatever the move is make it your best. In this day and age it's all too often we focus on what's "Hot" instead of what has been, what is and what will be. I have a lot of projects I am currently working on and while I continue to make my way I always have this blog, a place to keep me grounded in the woman I am continuously working to be. I was here.

Friday, March 25, 2011

#1 ~ Day 1 ~ My written Beginning

This is my FIRST BLOG EVER!!!!! I have wanted to start a blog for a VERY long time but wasn't sure, when? The title of my 1st blog is significant for me... in many ways this is a new beginning for me and I must admit I'm excited :)

A very special & influential person in my life has told me since 2005:
"They may not know your name today, but your going to let them know what your name is! Who are you??"
Since I was 9 years old I have wanted to pursue a career in journalism. At that moment it was probably for ALL OF THE WRONG reasons but as I grew & matured that thought turned into a passion. I have done a number of things to connect me with the right people and they have and still do guide me through this journey.

My Name Is: Ashley Renee Connor

May 2, 2009 - A day I will NEVER forget! My graduation from Clarion University of PA

The biggest dream for students majoring in broadcast journalism is once they graduate from college is to land their first on-air job, for many that's not the case. Including me! With a number of things going against me along with some mistakes I made that wasn't my reality. First thought? What they heck am I going to do? GET A JOB!!!!

My first job out of college had NOTHING to do with my degree!!! I was a case manager for a non-profit organization and I landed the job because they needed someone with a bachelors degree for the position & that I did have! In my brain I am the first to say, everything happens for a reason. While working at this job the company had an annual gala, in preparation for this event I  noticed some Pittsburgh "celebrities" were going to be in attendance! ME still having a passion for NEWS noticed a specific on-air talent attending. I told the event planner, "I'm bringing my resume to this event." Of course he told me NO but in my head I knew I was going to have a conversation with this person and see what was going to come about :) 

The day comes and I am getting dressed up for the nights gala, themed an evening in Paris. Very nice event! As the evening plays out I spot the person that had the words I needed to hear! Ironically I pass him by & he recognizes me!!! I literally felt weak because I needed this moment to go in my favor! He needed me to refresh his memory of how he knew me and I automatically said, "Miss Black Teenage 2005 I won Queen and you were a judge!" He quickly remembered & it was smooth sailing from there on out!! HE gave me his card, I emailed him my resume and on July 19th, 2010 I landed a job at WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh as a Production Assistant. No this isn't the exact position that I wanted but since I wanted to pursue this career I was ALWAYS told "Get your foot in the door, then your arm, then your leg and once your in there STAY!" Ever since I started here I couldn't be more thankful. I have had the opportunity to meet & work with amazing people as well as some NOT so amazing people! "It's the nature of the business".

I'm currently sending out written resumes, resume DVDs, cover letters and references to as many stations as possible until SOMEONE wants to hire me! I know it's going to come, it is all in patience and prayer!

Key Word: NETWORK

2 comments: